Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Being Content!


Imagine the following scenario: You are sitting at home on a rainy Saturday afternoon. It’s too wet and dreary to do anything outside today, so you find yourself loafing about the house only to plant yourself comfortably on the nearest couch with the T.V. remote in your hand. You find yourself flipping through channels when all of a sudden you see a riveting commercial for the amazing widget 3.0. You exclaim at the top of your lungs “I have to have that!”, only to find yourself 6 months later lying on the same couch seeing a commercial for the brand new widget 4.0.

Do you see the problem here? Let me enlighten you, the problem is that you and I have a problem with wanting more! We, as a whole, want the newest, hottest thing when it comes out! What is it that makes us want these new items? Personally, I believe the answer to that question to be different for everyone, however I want to submit this opinion to you: We have a contentment problem! 

The culture we live in has saturated with us the idea that we need to get the newest and best stuff that’s out there whether it be cars, food, or technology. Whatever happened to being content with what we have? Today in Philippians class we looked at this verse:

I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. (Phil. 4.10-12, ESV)

Did you read that? Paul in writing verse 11 says that he “learned in whatever situation to be content”, O and by the way at the time of his writing this…he was in PRISON!

Paul faced situations where he had “plenty” and an“abundance” while at other times he faced “hunger” and was in “need” and yet he learned how to be content through it all! This week I want you to take a look at your life and what you have (not what you want). Learn to be content with little and make the most of what you have! The world desires to have the newest and “greatest things”. Shouldn’t we as Christians be different and just learn to be content in everything as Paul was?
-Jack D.

No comments:

Post a Comment